What Does an ENT Do?

What Does an ENT Do? - What Does an ENT Do?

What is an ENT? What is Otolaryngology? Can’t my family doctor take care of my ears, nose, and throat? If you’re unfamiliar with what an ENT physician does, you’ve likely had questions like these. The medical profession is filled with so many areas of specialty, that it can be difficult to keep up with which doctor helps with what. With that in mind, we’d like to specifically address the field of otolaryngology and explain what it is an ENT specialist does and when you should see one.

What is an Otolaryngologist?

Otolaryngology is actually the oldest medical specialty in the country. It is the medical and surgical treatment of diseases and disorders of the ear, nose and throat as well as related structures of the head and neck. ENT specialists treat wide range of medical issues, including:

  • Sinusitis/Sinus Infections and other disorders of nasal cavity & sinuses
  • Ear Infections and Ear Pain
  • Vertigo and Balance Disorders
  • Benign & Malignant Tumors of the head and neck, including the thyroid and parathyroid glands
  • Nasal obstruction and nasal allergies
  • Disorders of the inner and outer ear
  • Diseases of the throat, including tonsillitis and hoarseness
  • Voice & Swallowing Disorders

When to see an ENT Physician

Sometimes patients are referred to ENT specialists by their family doctor, and you may or may not require a referral based on your health care plan. Conditions requiring the care of an otolaryngologist (ENT physician) include:

  • Injury, Pain, or Nerve Problems of the ear, nose, or throat
  • Tonsil or Adenoid Infection
  • Growth or Tumor in your ear, nose, or throat
  • Deviated Septum, Nose Bleeds, or problems with smell
  • Allergy, Asthma, Nasal Congestion, or Sinus Problems
  • Hearing Impairment & Ear Infections
  • Swimmer’s Ear
  • Tinnitus
  • Balance Problems & Dizziness
  • Hoarseness, sore throat, voice or swallowing problems

If you are dealing with one of these conditions or any other problem affecting your ear, nose, or throat, you should seek the care of an otolaryngologist/ENT specialist. For those in the Athens, GA area, give Ashford Clinic a call at
(706)248-6860 to make an appointment.